Creating Conversations: Gardening Activity Toolkit
In recent years the use of creative arts activities in healthcare has been steadily growing as research has amassed showing clear benefits that can be achieved for carers and participants. Following a two year development project and rigorous testing Creating Conversations Limited have launched the first Creating Conversations Gardening Themed Activity Kit.
The Creating Conversations: Gardening Activity Kit is a tool to assist activities coordinators and care staff to deliver relaxing and purposeful social opportunities and activities within care environments. It provides an accessible framework for both new and experienced facilitators to successfully deliver ongoing programmes of creative activities for groups of older people, including those with a diagnosis of dementia. All materials are easily adaptable for a range of physical and social needs.
Designed by professionals with extensive experience in care settings and tested by the Gerontology Department at Stirling University, Creating Conversations provides creative kits centred round engaging and familiar themes. The activity kits are designed to encourage discussion and strengthen connections amongst staff, participants, family members and friends.
With the gardening themed activity kit you will find many flexible ways to give creative opportunities to the people you care for; increasing their self-expression and routes to describing themselves through drawing, painting, writing, reminiscence conversations and practical activities.
Benefits of using the kit:
For care homes and activities leaders our kits will:
- Provide a convenient on-going programme to fulfil the requirements for stimulating creative activities as outlined by National Care Standards and Care Inspectorate guidance.
- Offer easy to use materials and clear activity plans that will increase staff confidence and enthusiasm, whilst encouraging bonds between participants and staff.
- Assist less confident or less experienced co-ordinators and facilitators to confidently hold engaging and purposeful activities.
- Provide best practice with new and innovative activities designed by experts at a cost effective price.
For participants our kits will:
- Encourage social engagement and combat isolation and loneliness.
- Encourage recollection, reminiscence and the sharing of personal histories.
- Decrease anxiety, feelings of frustration and confusion. Increase personal fulfilment, enjoyment and wellbeing.
- Build relationships with activity leaders and care home residents.
The kit includes
- A handbook outlining activity sessions for a minimum of 8 topics related to the gardening theme
- A beautifully crafted tablecloth (200cm x 140cm and washable to 70 degrees) suitable for up to six people at a time
- 30 discussion cards
- Login details for the Members’ Support section of section of our website
- Ongoing aftercare and support
The Standard Kit is £180.00 and comes with one tablecloth suitable for seating up to six people at a time dependent on your choice of table/s.
We also offer a Large Kit at £220.00 and this comes with two tablecloths which affordably extends the number of participants you can support with this product.